Methylamines are utilized in a wide range of applications and processes. The following includes some of the many applications of our customer base.
(MMA, DMA, TMA)
Different methylamines are used to make intermediates for many agri chemicals including herbicides, fungicides, insecticides, biocides & miticides.
- MMA reacted with carbon disulfide & caustic produces metam-sodium: which is used as a soil fumigant & sterilant (replacing methyl bromide- ozone depleter).
- Phosgenated MMA is used to produce methyl isocyanate: which is used to manufacture insecticides.
- DMA is used to produce herbicides & fungicides such as:
‒Ferbam: Fungicide for apples & tobacco
‒Ziram: Fungicide for vegetables
‒Thiram: Disinfectant for grains, bulbs, tubers & corn
- TMA reacted with SO2 produces a volatile insecticide
TMA is used to produce choline chloride, a B vitamin supplement in animal feed for chickens, turkeys & swine.
(MMA, DMA, TMA)
Methylamines are used directly as catalysts or as raw materials to produce other compounds with catalytic activity.
- MDEA made from MMA is used as a urethane catalyst.
- DMAE made from DMA is also used as a urethane catalyst to promote foam rise & gel strength for insulation applications (appliances).
- Hydrochlorides of MMA & DMA in the presence of cupric chloride are used for the polymerization of acetylene to vinyl & devinyl acetylene.
- MMA & DMA are used as catalysts for the dealdolization of diacetone alcohol.
- TMA is a catalyst for ethyl alcohol to ethylene oxide and for Diels-Alder diene association reactions.
- DMA & calcium sulfate are used to prepare dinitroalkanes & nitro-olefins.
- MMA & DMA can be used for the condensation of phenol & formaldehyde.
- DMA is a catalyst to condense acetone with formaldehyde to produce synthetic resins used in paper bonding & coating.
- DMA is used to make benzyldimethylamine which is used as an accelerator for epoxy resins in laminates for electrical equipment.
- TMA is used to make tetramethylammonium hydroxide which is a stripper for resists in printed circuit boards.
(MMA, DMA, TMA)
Fuel additives are used to improve engine performance in a variety of ways.
- DMCHA & DMAPA made from DMA are used for gasoline & motor oil additives.
- MMA & chlorobenzene are reacted with copper as a catalyst to make n-methylaniline for aviation fuel.
- DMA hydrochloride is also used as an aviation fuel additive as an antiknock compound.
- MMA nitrate is a freezing point depressant in jet engines using ammonium nitrate-urea fuels.
- Mixtures of MMA, DMA & TMA in water have been tested as coolants in some high-speed engines.
Gas & Oil Treatment
- MMA reacted with ethylene oxide produces methyldiethanolamine (MDEA) & monomethylethanolamine (NMEA): MDEA is used to remove acidic components in natural gas such as H2S, mercaptans, carbonyl sulfide & CO.
- DMA reacted with CO2 produces dimethylammonium: used to remove sulfur compounds, olefins & aromatic hydrocarbons from raw oil.
- Both DMA, TMA are used to produce cationizing starches
- DMA is used to produce n,n-dimethylaminopropylamine & DMDAC which are used to make cosmetics, liquid soaps, hand lotions, shaving cream & shampoos.
- MMA reacted with ethylene oxide creates methyldiethanolamine (MDEA) and monomethylethanolamine (NMEA) which are used to make analgesics with sedative and antispasmodic effects.
- MMA reacted with phosgene yields n,n-dimethylurea used to make xanthine derivatives.
- MMA reacted with phenylsuccincic acid yields phensuximide which is an anticonvulsant.
- MMA is used to make intermediates for the production of tranquilizers, antidepressants muscle relaxants & x-ray contract mediums.
- MMA is used to produce sympathomimetic drugs.
- DMA is used to produce intermediates to manufacture antihistamines.
- DMA is used in the synthesis of local anesthetics.
- DMA is used to manufacture propoxyphen analgesic & doxepin antidepressants.
- Salicylates of MMA & DMA are used as ointments for skin disorders.
- DMA is used to make intermediates for tranquilizing agents.
- DMA is used to manufacture anionic resins.
- TMA is used to manufacture cationic exchange resins.
- DMA is used to make dimethyldithiocarbamate salts used for vulcanization accelerators.
- DMA oleate is an emulsifier for use in synthetic rubber production.
- DMA is used directly as a modifier in the vapor phase polymerization of butadience & as a stabilizer for natural rubber latex.
- DMA reacted with CO produces dimethylformamide (DMF): which is used in urethane coatings, spinning solvents (primarily for acrylics), reaction solvents, extraction solvents & processing solvents.
- MMA reacted with acetic acid produces dimethylacetamide (DMAC): which is used as spinning solvent & reaction solvent and for the manufacture of dyes, pharmaceuticals & vinyl polymers.
- MMA reacted with gammabutyrolactone produces n-methylpyrrolidone (NMP): which is used as reaction solvent (engineering resins), extraction solvent (lube oil refining), spinning solvent, paint stripper, electronics (for strippers and cleaners) and enamel coatings (magnet wire with polyamide/imide resins).
- DMA is used to produce some specialty surfactants which are used in the manufacture of soaps, shampoos, detergents & other specialty wetting applications.
- DMA is used as a raw material to product agents that remove suspended solids for water clarification in industrial & municipal water/wastewater treatment plants. They are used to improve sold/liquid separation in sedimentation, filtration and flotation operations.